Is Damp Treatment Beneficial for Your Health?

May 20, 2018 | Damp Proofing | 0 comments

Damp ceilings and walls are not unusual especially in high moisture areas in the house like the kitchen and the bathroom. However, while their occurrence is fairly normal, it is something you should not ignore.

For one, the dampness may cause yellow patches to appear on the walls or ceilings. It may also lead to the growth of mould which manifests as grey, brown or greenish-black substance that covers the surface. These things can make your home look unsightly and untidy. It can also cause unpleasant odours.

In the long run, the dampness can ruin the aesthetics and compromise the structural integrity of the house. Paint on walls may crack or flake, the wood may rot, and concrete walls may spall off.

Effects of a Damp House on Your Health

Yet, more than the cosmetic damage that it does, untreated dampness in the house can have serious health repercussions for you and other members of your household.

As mentioned earlier, a damp environment is a breeding ground for moulds. One of the most notorious types is the black mould, greenish-black in colour and thrives in kitchens, baths, toilets and basements. A lot of black mould species are toxigenic – they release toxins which are harmful for humans. Repeated and prolonged exposure to these fungi can result in mould poisoning or mycotoxicosis.

Mould poisoning targets the upper respiratory system. Some of its common symptoms include itchy or red eyes, coughing, wheezing, itchy skin and a cold or a flu. Meanwhile, those with pre-existing conditions like asthma may exhibit severe symptoms such as allergic reactions, frequent coughing, fever and headaches.

Unfortunately, some people do not exhibit any of the aforementioned symptoms of mould poisoning. Hence, the problem may progress and affect you physiologically, neurologically and emotionally. On top of losing your hair, you may experience stomach or muscle cramps and numbness of extremities. You may also become sensitive to light and gain weight. Moreover, you may suffer from memory loss and confusion.

Suffice it to say, mould exposure is dangerous – it can weaken your immune system and cause your brain function to deteriorate prematurely. The thing is, mycotoxicosis may affect anyone regardless of their age or gender. However, younger (like children) and older people (senior citizens) are more susceptible.

Damp Treatment for a Healthier Household

Clearly, if you value your health, you cannot neglect a damp issue in your house, be it in the kitchen, bathroom or basement. Furthermore, this problem needs to be addressed immediately. So, quickly hire a company that offers professional damp treatment services.

While there are countless blogs and videos on how to address damp walls or homes, it is still best to let professionals do the job. This is the best way to ensure the treatment is done properly. Furthermore, if black moulds are present, only trained professionals, those with the training and tools, should do the task. Otherwise, without the proper suit and materials, you may be exposing yourself to more harm.

Basically, before working on your house, the damp treatment service provider is going to determine the cause of the damp and assess the extent of the damage before proceeding with the treatment process. With this, you are guaranteed that the moulds are completely eliminated, and the root of the problem is removed.

Furthermore, damp treatment isn’t just about removing damp patches in your house. It is also about protecting the structural integrity of your home. With damp proofing, moisture decay can be avoided or minimised. Consequently, this can prevent damp from causing structural damage to your property.

Looking for a damp treatment service provider? We use tried and tested methods and first-rate materials to treat damp. Call us at 01 – 8417716 (telephone) or 086 – 7907555 (mobile) today.